I was born in 1980. I remember having an 8-track cartridge to "Annie" I loved it and played it over and over.
I recall having a sleep over in third grade and my friend taking me to the "Beta" section of the video store. We had a VHS, but I was sure that the one my friend had must be better. It turns out, the VHS my parents chose withstood the test of time a bit longer.
My one and only 8-track was replaced not long after by a tape player. I spent hours waiting for certain songs to come on the radio and would run over to hit "record" on my tape player. I had many mix-tapes of my favorite songs but I never heard the very beginnings of any of them. I remember I was in 3rd grade when my best friend (yes, the same one with the Beta) got a CD player. I could not believe how amazing this thing was. You did not even have to rewind!! Wow! Not long after I got my first disc-man and collected dozens of CDs whenever my birthday or Christmas came around.
When I was in elementary school I recall going to the computer lab in the library once a week. We learned how to use commands to move a turtle around and create shapes. I found it boring and pointless, wishing I had Art class that day instead. I was sure I would never use a computer again.
In middle school my parents had a computer in the home office (my step mother ran a travel agency out of the house). We had Prodigy internet and I can still hear that terrible dial-up sound it made. I sat for at least a half hour waiting for it to be ready for use. When it did I got a kick out of chat rooms and dared my friends to say inappropriate things, giggling like crazy.
I began in high school to use computers more frequently. Some early experiences I remember were using graphic design programs in Art class and researching information for reports. I did not have an email account until college. That was when my use of technology began to be a part of my daily life like it is today. I got my first cell phone in college and searched yahoo or google whenever I needed information.
Now I use an Iphone and an IPad daily. Even my 2 year old son uses these devices with ease. In school I use my SMART board across the curriculum. I do not consider myself to have strong skills in technology but I can do enough to "get by". I am hoping to become more proficient in this course and use my new skills this upcoming school year.
Sara, you have an interesting view of technology and I see that you are very motivated to become proficient in all areas of technology. I remember the long dial up tones too!
ReplyDelete